18 February 2008

the hermit kingdom



North Korea is so fascinating because it's so mysterious. The other day I was at a map store, because sometimes I go to map stores, and there was a North Korea travel guide. So I bought it, of course. It's the only one available. Worth every penny. The focus is definitely more on history and the general HOLY FUCK THIS PLACE IS FUCKED vibe. But should I ever find myself in Pyongyang, I'll know which restaurants will accept Euros, which is the currency tourists have to use. They're not allowed to use the same money the citizens use, and there was a time when a special currency was printed just for visitors.

The guide is from 2005, but not much has changed since then, so I don't worry about it being out-of-date. A new edition has just been released, but I'm sure it just has updates on the political climate. And I'm not going there anyway. I'd love to go, but I can't. They don't allow Americans these days. It's too bad, because Pyongyang seems like one of the strangest places on Earth.

A collection of great photos can be found here.

And if you still haven't had enough, check Radio Pyongyang out. This is not a joke. Download a track here.

And here are a couple of photos I particularly like:

No comments: